Over time, being exposed to radon can lead to you or a loved one developing lung cancer. As more people are becoming aware of radon more people are testing and more people are choosing to mitigate.
We are still finding that the majority of people contacting us for a mitigation estimate, are normally part of a real estate transaction, either on the buyer or sellers side. Whether you are selling or purchasing a new home choosing the right mitigation contractor is key. The cost of a mitigation system is only one factor you should be looking at.
Not all radon mitigation contractors are thinking about your health, instead it is their wallet they are thinking about. Don’t always go with the lowest bidder. Many times we get a call back after a homeowner who had a system installed by a low bidding mitigation contractor, paid for normally by the seller. The new owner decided to test the system and discovered their radon levels are higher than what they were prior to the system being installed.
Do your homework, don’t always go for the cost, remember, “you get what you pay for”.
Here are the top five reasons you should hire a professional mitigation contractor.
- Health risks. The first reason to hire a professional to reduce your radon levels is that the health risks of radon exposure are serious. Long-term exposure to radon can lead to death due to lung cancer. People who are trained properly to assess the risk and mitigate it are always the best option. When you have health issues, you see a Doctor. When you are having issues with radon, you should seek out a radon professional.
- Greater knowledge. The bottom line is that the professionals will be better able to identify the areas radon may be entering your home. Their knowledge of the issue will result in a safer house for you and your family. Our team of mitigation contractors have over 30 years of experience in installing mitigation systems throughout Colorado. Our team is here to assist and answer your questions every step of the way.
- Your Family Matters. This ties into the health risks. Your family and pets deserve to live in a home that does not have radon. More families are spending more time in their basements as new homes are being built with theatre rooms or grand play rooms and offices. Spending more time in a basement with elevated radon levels increases your risk of lung cancer. At just 6.pCi/L that is just above the EPA’s guideline of 4.0 pCi/L it is like giving your family 400 x-rays a year or smoking 16 cigarettes a day. That’s pretty serious.
- More Experience. Trained mitigators will have more resources and experience. The bottom line is that the professionals will be better able to identify the areas radon may be entering your home. Their knowledge of the issue will result in a safer house for you and your family. As there are many older homes here in Colorado, these older homes can take a little bit of TLC to properly install a mitigation system. Our team of radon professionals at RDS Environmental have installed thousands of systems over the past 30 years. We have installed systems on historic buildings in Black Hawk to brand new homes in Denver Metro. Let us ensure your mitigation system is installed properly.
- Follow up Testing. Once a mitigation system is installed you should always perform a post-mitigation test. It is the only way to know if your system is working properly. RDS provides a third party test with every system we install. We guarantee our systems and will return to correct or make any adjustments to our systems to ensure you and your family are free from radon exposure in your home.
Remember in Colorado 1 out of every 2 homes has elevated radon levels. Test your home and should your radon levels be elevated contact our team of professionals today. 303-444-5253 . Let our team of professionals “Protect What Matters Most.”